18 September 2005

Patristic Quote for the Day

To the table of thy most sweet Feast, O loving Lord Jesus Christ, I, a sinner, presuming nothing on my own merits, but trusting in thy mercy and goodness, approach with fear and trembling. For my heart and my body are stained with many and grievous sins, my throughts and my lips have not been carefully kept. Wherefore, O gracious God, O awful Majesty, I, in my misery, being brought into a great strait, turn to thee, the Fountain of mercy, to thee I hasten to be healed and flee under thy protection. And thee, before whom as my Judge, I cannot stand, I long to have as my Savior. To thee, O Lord, I show my wounds, to thee I discover my shame. I know my sins, for which I am afraid, are many and great. My trust is in thy mercies, of which there is no end. - St. Ambrose

No comments: