30 March 2006

Patristic Quote for the Day

"That I shall be merciful to their wrongdoings and I shall no longer store in my memory their lawless ways." What did he mean? Here he indicates baptism and forgiveness through grace. This happened not under the law, but under the new covenant. For under the law there was punishment and torture and penalty punishing those who transgressed its edicts. Under the new covenant, grace and forgiveness of wrongdoings and absolution. That's why Paul also said: "Because God in Christ was reconciling the world to himself, not counting up their faults against them and placing on us the ministration of that reconciliation" (2 Cor. 5:19). Which is what the prophet says too: "I shall be merciful to their wrongdoings and I shall no longer store in my memory their sins."... when the law was dissolved, no one demanded payment for sins but each received forgiveness for his wrongdoings. - St. John Chrysostom, Homily on Eleazar and the Seven Boys (preaching on Jeremiah 31)

No comments: