15 July 2006

AND today's another special birthday...


My beloved father-in-law turns 69. Dave has been both a friend and mentor for countless years. My own father died when I was 19, so for most of my life, Dave has been my dad. I hope that one day I will be as kind, as gentle and loving as he. He's an amazing man. Long before I was even dating my wife, Dave took me on camping trips with the family (and let me sleep in the back seat of the car rather than in a tent - kind man!), trips to the beach with them (beyond count the memories from "The Purple Pad"), and retreats at "The Farm."

What can I tell you about this man?

Let's see:

First, Dave's a giant. 6'7" tall - and not skinny - just think a regular sized person blown up in size a time or two!
Second, he's a singer - used to sing in choirs all the time!
Third, he's an actor - used to act in musicals!
Fourth, he used to race motor bikes - how did that huge body fit on those little bikes???
Fifth, he still loves races - can you say NASCAR?
Sixth, he can make cars go - great to have a mechanic with you on vacation!
Seventh, he can make a friend of anyone - he talks to strangers with an ease that I envy!
Eighth, he can fix about anything you throw his way - we LOVE to have him visit because this is, well, not a talent of mine!
Ninth, he knows how to garden - and he knows the names of all those flowers!
Tenth, he needs his icecream - he's a fanatic about it (what flavor? YES...)!

And best of all? Dave and Jo are thinking seriously about moving to our neighborhood. I'm tickled pink at the thought of having them so nearby. Dave, I love you! You're the best! (P.S. - Yes, David our son is named for David his grandfather - and also my dad - being born on his grandfather David's birthday - sorry St. Vlad...)

No comments: