27 July 2006

Tagged....

Fr. Juhl, I hate these things, but I must confess that this one is at least sort of interesting to me, for I love books.

1. One book that changed your life:
*For the Life of the World* - Alexander Schmemann

2. One book that you’ve read more than once:
*The Lord of the Rings* - usually once a year.

3. One book you’d want on a desert island:
You mean I have to choose between the Bible and the Hymnal???? I refuse. And that desert island had better have a nice piano or organ.

4. One book that made you laugh:
*My Man Jeeves* (thanks to my brother-in-law and sister-in-law for introducing me to Wodenhouse!)

5. One book that made you cry:
I don't think I've ever read a book that made me cry. Stiff upper lip and all...

6. One book that you wish had been written:
The Complete Collected Liturgies (in modern musical notation) of 16th and 17th Century Lutheranism, translated into English

7. One book that you wish had never been written:
*DaVinci Code*

8. One book you’re currently reading:
Volume 1 of Gerhard's Loci Theologici.

9. One book you’ve been meaning to read:
Will several do? The rest of Michael O'Brien's corpus, having enjoyed greatly his *Father Elijah* Oh, and whatever Michael Connelly comes out with next.

10. Tag others.
Fr. Fenton, Pr. McCain, David Weedon, Deb Dillon, Salvatore, Ben Jonson, Fr. Eckardt, Pr. Fouts

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ekk Gads, I hate these things too. I'll have to ponder a bit.

Deb

Anonymous said...

Try reading the original Frankenstein in order to soften that "stiff upper lip".

sam said...

Pastor Weedon,
In regards to question six, "One book that you wish had been written" you might want to check out Dr. Joseph Herl's book, "Worship Wars in Early Lutheranism: Choir, Congregation, and Three Centuries of Conflict" (I'd link to it on amazon... but I'm not sure of the link HTML command). He is a music professor at Concordia, Seward and is a phenomonal guy. I've heard nothing but good things about the book and have had the chance to look through it numerous times. The only reason why I don't own it is because of the guy. Dr. Herl is a treasure trove of information regarding the Church's liturgy and Church Music in general. If you have any questions about the book just shoot me an e-mail.

Sam

William Weedon said...

Sam,

Thanks for the information. Dr. Herl is a good friend, and he was kind enough to give me a copy of the book when it was published. It is a great source of information and I'm glad you brought it up!