23 August 2006

Two to wrap up the day

1. In My Mother's Womb

In my mother's womb You knew me,
Though to human eye unknown.
Yours the hand that fashioned, shaped me.
Gave me father, mother, home.

In the water You received me;
Named me as Your own dear child.
Washed away my sin forever
As upon my life You smiled.

In Your holy Word You taught me,
Showed me there the way to live:
Every breath and every moment
I receive as gifts You give.

At Your table well You feed me,
Where I taste eternal joy.
Fed and nourished by Your presence
All my days Your praise employ.

When at last from earth You call me
And I stand before Your throne,
By Your own grace then receive me
As a child You've made Your own.

And while I on earth must wonder,
Help me every day to see
All of life as precious to You,
Let it precious be to me.

Father, Source of all things living!
Jesus, Life of everthing!
Spirit, Gift of Life eternal!
Three in One we praise and sing!

2. Upon the Ikon of Christ Crucified

The flicker of light dancing upon the Crux of eternity
Illumines for me a world yet all-glorious
Beyond the rage of humanity's great mime.
Here, beyond imaginings, is the Lamb victorious
In His sacrifice of love. I am
Here brought to a window of heaven
And to God's glory and grace. I am
Here cleansed within of old leaven
From my self-ordained feast; and seven
Times over am given His robe
To wear for festal dance, for He has riven
This corruptible little frame.

Here I am, O God, my God;
Here the epiphany of Your love upon the Rood.

No comments: