30 December 2006

A Beautiful Verse

I have loved Psalm 65 ever since I got to sing Edgar Aufdemberge's beautiful setting: "Praise waiteth for thee, O God, in Zion." But it has only been in recent years that I have rejoiced in verse 3:

When iniquities prevail against me,
You atone for our transgressions.

Isn't that a beautiful word of comfort to a poor sinner, beaten down by sin, and aching to be set free from it: it is when our iniquities seem to have won the day that we find it is not so. Our gracious Lord, to whom praise is due in Zion, has atoned for our transgressions, has wiped away our iniquities. From manger to cross to empty tomb to the right hand of the Father, Jesus Christ IS the atonement for our transgressions and no sin in my life or yours is stronger than He! To Him be glory forever! Amen.

No comments: