03 December 2006

HEAT!!!!




Yeah!!!!

The power came on late this afternoon. We'd been without heat or electricity since about 4 a.m. on Friday. Thank the Lord that we had a gas hot-water heater and that we had access to the gas stove in St. Paul's basement!

This morning, St. Paul's held regular services and Bible class - and no less than 100 members braved the icy church for the Word and Sacrament. It has to have been the shortest homily I have ever preached... Have I ever told you how great HEAT feels???? House is still only up to about 50 but its warming up by the hour.

Our yard and most of the area is a total mess. Weird experience on Thursday night was hearing the trees groan, snap, and then crash. All around town huge portions of the trees are on the ground. Right out my my front window, it looks about 1/4 of the maple tree is on the ground.

5 comments:

Brian D. said...

Wow. I'm sure the wind whipping across the flat Hamel land which St. Paul's sits on must have added to the temperature drop!

My parents live a bit west of you in Granite City but were spared a power outage.

Speaking of land, since moving out east I'm always amazed at each visit I make back home at how flat the mid-west is. Amazing.

Anonymous said...

We're a few days behind you all,,,,,, power is back on, in the meanwhile a little Jotul woodburner and wool blankets kept us going.
Even with all that, we had two "twelve cat nights",,, must have satisfied the kitties as well, they kept their motors running all night.

Anonymous said...

The outdoor pictures really don't do it justice. (The indoor picture says more than a thousand words.) It was absolutely gorgeous looking out our kitchen window into the "glass" forest in the sunlight. But then I guess I could appreciate the beauty a lot easier since we never lost power. (Some people locally (Red Bud area) were not so blessed - still waiting for power last night.)
Today I layer clothes so I'm ready for a chilly graveside at 11 am.

William Weedon said...

Brain,

Glad your parents didn't lose power!

David,

Pray for those still without power - there are lots of them!

Fr. Hank,

You have as soft a spot for those wretched beasties as I do!

William Weedon said...

Jimbo,

The pictures really can't capture it, can they? We drove around a bit yesterday and it was simply stunning in every direction.