04 December 2006

The Nativity - The Movie

To keep warm yesterday, waiting for the power to come back on, we headed to Edwardsville and took in *The Nativity.* I didn't come expecting to be impressed, but I was.

Basically the accounts from Matthew and Luke were blended together to produce a coherent story. A few things were added in for character depth and a few for comic relief. But all in all, a fairly faithful telling.

It's impossible to step back and guess how the story would strike a person who had never heard it. For those who know and love it well, I do not think you will be disappointed. I do NOT generally cry at movies. I tease my wife for crying at sad commercials! But when the time came for the birth, tears were streaming down my face. The words I was thinking then:

O that birth, forever blessed
When the Virgin, full of grace,
By the Holy Ghost conceiving
Bore the Savior of our race,
And that babe, the world's redeemer,
First revealed His sacred face,
Evermore and evermore.

A God that you can wrap your arms around and love, cherish and hold. Such a God we have. He became what we are by nature that by grace we might become what He is. Glory to Him forever!

2 comments:

mamajuliana said...

Thank you for the review. I have read reviews that come down on both sides of liking it and not--so I didn't know whether to go or not. I guess I'll take the box of tissues and the kids and go...Thanks again! Glad you made it through the first winter storm. John says thanks for the pics!

William Weedon said...

Tell John that I was happy to oblige!