04 December 2006

A Prayer for Your Parishioners

Several years ago, I came across this prayer that Orthodox Christians use to pray for their children. It struck me as perfect also for a pastor use to pray for his parishioners. I offer it for any who might find it of help in fulfilling their obligation to pray daily for those under their spiritual care:

O God, our heavenly Father, You love mankind, and are most merciful and compassionate, have mercy upon [Names...] and all the members of my parish, for whom I humbly pray You, and commend them to Your gracious protection. Be, O God, their guide and guardian in all their endeavors; lead them in the path of Your truth, and draw them nearer to You, that they may lead a godly and righteous life in Your love and fear; doing Your will in all matters. Give them grace that they may be temperate, industrious, diligent, devout and charitable. Defend them against the assaults of the enemy, and grant them wisdom and strength to resist all temptation and corruption of this life; and direct them in the way of salvation, for the merits of Your Son, our Savior Jesus Christ. Amen.

1 comment:

Rev. Jim Roemke said...

Pr. Weedon,
Thank you for this beautiful prayer. I have been praying it in advance for the dear flock which I will be called to serve in a few short months. It has been a beautiful way of creating a relationship with those saints before I even meet them. I shared it withDr. Peter, the director of placement at CSL. He likes it so much that he is going to share it with the whole class. Thank you for your faithful and wonderful pastoral example.