01 May 2007

Hamel Has Been Changed

When we moved here 15 years ago, shopping was a MAJOR inconvenience. I mean, the grocery stores were in Edwardsville (15-20 minute drive) and shopping or eating out in a nice place meant a trip even further to Fairview (30-40 minutes drive). You forgot something at the store and it was a MAJOR pain in the patookus!

Well, today Hamel opened its very own DK's Market. Our own grocery store!!! Has a deli, fresh cuts of meat, great looking veggies, and a very nice wine selection. It's like THREE MINUTES from the church. SWEET!

Some of the owners are members of St. Paul's: Brian and Linda Weiler. We wish them great success. And I love the fact that they wanted to open not just with civil ceremonies, but with prayer. So we did.

In short, Hamel has been changed, and I think *much* for the better. Living here grows sweeter by the year.

6 comments:

Future Church said...

DK's was one of the reasons my wife and I decided to move to the Worden/Hamel area rather than moving closer to Edwardsville. They will definitely get business from the Roe family!

Rev. Paul T. McCain said...

Would love to hear/read your prayer.

William Weedon said...

Paul,

Sorry. Didn't write anything down. I know it celebrated God's bounty of the first article and asked God's blessing upon the store, those who work there, and the community it serves, and it ended in our Lord's name. That's about all I remember.

Pax!

William Weedon said...

Adam,

Have you been in yet? You will NOT be disappointed, I don't think. It seems so much smaller from the outside, but it's really quite a decent sized store. And right in our own backyard, by gosh by golly!

William Weedon said...

You know, you just might be a redneck when....


...you get excited that your village has a grocery store!

Just checked in the mirror. Yup. It's red.

Unknown said...

Pastor Weedon,

It is small things like the opening of a grocery store in town that remind me of my roots of growing up in a small town and community.

Ironically the claim to fame our county has unlike most is that the entire county I grew up in while a child did not have a stop light in the whole county. Scary part is still to this day this is true of the whole county!!! Rural living, you have to love it!!

BTW, yes, my neck is red as well!!!

YIC,
Darian L. Hybl