07 June 2007

My Priceless Treasure

Lord Jesus Christ, You have prepared
This feast for my salvation;
It is Your body and Your blood,
And at Your invitation
As weary souls, with sin oppressed,
We come to You for needed rest,
For comfort and for pardon.

Although You did to heaven ascend,
Where angel hosts are dwelling,
And in Your presence they behold
Your glory, all excelling,
And though Your people shall not see
Your glory and Your majesty
Till dawns the judgment morning,

Yet, Savior, You are not confined
To any habitation;
But You are present even now
Here in Your congregation.
Firm as a rock this truth shall stand,
Unmoved by any daring hand
Or subtle craft and cunning.

We eat this bread, we drink this cup,
Your precious Word believing
That Your true body and Your blood
Our lips are here receiving.
This Word remains forever true,
All things are possible with You,
For You are Lord Almighty.

Though reason cannot understand
Yet faith this truth embraces:
Your body, Lord, is even now
At once in many places.
I leave to You how this can be;
Your Word alone suffices me;
I trust its truth unfailing.

Lord, I believe what You have said:
Help me when doubts assail me.
Remember that I am but dust
And let my faith not fail me.
Your supper in this vale of tears
Refreshes me and stills my fears
And is my priceless treasure.

Grant that we worthily receive
Your Supper, Lord, our Savior,
And, truly grieving for our sins,
May prove by our behavior
That we are thankful for Your grace
And day by day may run our race,
In holiness increasing.

For Your consoling supper, Lord,
Be praised throughout all ages!
Preserve it, for in ev'ry place,
The world against it rages.
Grant that this sacrament may be
A blessed comfort unto me
When living and when dying.
LSB 622

No comments: