08 September 2007

Patristic Quote for the Day

'To the saints who are in His earth': to the holy ones who have placed their hope in the land of the living, to the citizens of the heavenly Jerusalem, whose spiritual life is moored by the anchor to that country which is rightly called God's land, although their bodies still inhabit the world below. 'He hath wrought all His desires in them.' God has revealed to these holy souls the wonders of all His plans for their progress; they have thereby realized what benefits they reap from a God whose manhood enables Him to die, and from a Man whose Godhead enables Him to rise from the dead. St. Augustine, *On the Psalms* Discourse on Psalm 15

4 comments:

Lutheran Lucciola said...

I enjoy the patristic quotes you put up, I haven't read them before. I just found your blog a few days ago.

William Weedon said...

Dear Lucciola,

Glad you stopped by and introduced yourself! And I am delighted to hear you enjoy the Patristic Quotes - the blessed Fathers really have so many beautiful insights to share with us!

Doorman-Priest said...

Greetings William,
I have to admit to not being a huge fan of Augustine as I don't find his theodicy particularly credible. What do you think of Irenaeus? I am a great fan.

Blessings
D.P.

William Weedon said...

Irenaeus is a huge favorite. Also Ignatius, but especially John Chrysostom and Peter Chrysologus.