22 October 2007

In Honor of the Reformation

This classic text by Johann Heermann (commemorated in our Synod on October 26):

If Your beloved Son, O God,
Had not to earth descended
And in our mortal flesh and blood
And not sin's power ended,
Then this poor, wretched soul of mine
In hell eternally would pine
Because of my transgression.

But now I find sweet peace and rest;
Despair no more reigns o'er me.
No more am I by sin oppressed,
For Christ has borne sin for me.
Upon the cross for me He died
That, reconciled, I might abide
With You, my God, forever.

I trust in Him with all my heart;
Now all my sorrow ceases.
His words abiding peace impart;
His blood from sin releases.
Free grace through Him I now obtain;
He washes me from ev'ry stain,
And pure I stand before Him.

All righteousness by works is vain;
The Law brings condemnation.
True righteousness by faith I gain;
Christ's work is my salvation.
His death, that perfect sacrifice,
Has paid the all-sufficient price;
In Him my hope is anchored.

My guilt, O Father, You have laid
On Christ Your Son, my Savior.
Lord Jesus, You my debt have paid
And gained for me God's favor.
O Holy Spirit, Fount of grace,
The good in me to You I trace;
In faith and hope preserve me.
LSB 568:1-5

No comments: