01 November 2007

Joanie and I were

talking today about Easter being so early in 2008. It sent me back to googling. I found out that the last time that Easter fell on March 23 was in 1913! 95 years ago this March. I wonder who in my parish was alive AND remembers it? This particular date of Easter occurs but six times in the 500 years from 1550 to 2050 (1600, 1788, 1845, 1856, 1913, 2008).

And just in case anyone is curious about the earliest possible date - March 22 - that last happened in 1818.

2 comments:

Rev. Larry Beane said...

Which pushes Mardi Gras back to February 5 (my 14th wedding anniversary) and Ash Wednesday to February 6 (my 44th birthday). This means there will be less than one full month of Carnival, and we may be wearing coats for the parades.

"T'row me sumt'm mistah!"

Anonymous said...

I'm glad we Orthodox follow the Julian Calendar for the calculation of Pascha (as mandated by the 1st ecumenical council). We never have to worry about celebrating Pascha that early. So while you are unside from the freezing cold in March for Pascha, we'll be outside to hear the Gospel according to St. Mark on a nice spring morning! just saying, that's all.