09 January 2008

Compline Again

Tonight was the first time we prayed Compline with the service printed out in its entirety. What a dummy I was not to do that ages ago! Talk about flowing beautifully - the prayers, the psalms, the chants; it all flowed together seamlessly. There were eleven of us, I think, to ask the Lord's blessing on the close of the day and, if it be His will, on the close of our lives. What a gift this beautiful liturgy is to us on our pilgrimage and what peace it speaks to the troubled heart! Once a week seems far, far too seldom to pray it together.

4 comments:

Rev. Jim Roemke said...

I have been praying it nightly for about 2 months now and it is so beautiful! It is a real shame that so many are ignorant of this beautiful liturgy.

William Weedon said...

The Lord bless your faithfulness, Pastor! Have you introduced it to your people yet? I'll bet some will be drawn to it right away. I wish we had a chance to use it when we might get more there (we use it following our midweek Bible class).

Rev. Jim Roemke said...

I am actually considering using to for Lenten midweek services along with a pre-Compline Bible study on the sacrificial usage of trees and wood throughout Scripture (CPH's Fusion Series, really excellent stuff, especially those by Chad Bird.) I think the Compline confession is especially appropriate for the Lenten season, plus, with a baby soon to arrive it will be a great help to me not to have to focus so much on sermons but on more catechetical, didactic, and interactive studies leading to the foot of the Tree of Life upon which our Lord conquered death by death. I'm looking forward to it!

Anonymous said...

It is wonderful to know that my Lutheran brothers and sisters are praying Compline. I never had much exposure to the Divine Office as a Lutheran and it is one of the common treasures of the church catholic.

I will think of you when I pray tonight.