27 January 2008

Patristic Quote of the Day

These are fountains of salvation, that they who thirst may be satisfied with the living words they contain. In these alone is proclaimed the doctrine of godliness. Let no man add to these, neither let him take ought from these. For concerning these the Lord put to shame the Sadducees, and said, 'You err, not knowing the Scriptures.' And He reproved the Jews, saying, 'Search the Scriptures, for these are they that testify of Me Matthew 22:29; John 5:39.' - St. Athanasius, Letter 39 (After he listed out the Canon - basically the so-called Protestant canon, the exceptions being excluding Esther, and including Baruch).

1 comment:

LPC said...

Pr. Will,

Thanks for that Chrysostom quote. I intend to study it and should be given due weight as he was one of the fathers.

I like to comment there but it does not give me a chance so the comment is here.

I shall think about the quote. Hope you note that why that question I brought up in the Trail was because of my experience in evangelizing some EO and in discussion with some Reformed guy in the internet. They think we taught universalism. Hence the suggestion at the Trail.

LPC