12 January 2008

Saturday's This 'n That

After a rather hectic week, next week (thus far and God willing!) looks to be a "normal" week for the first time since, what? November? I'm looking forward to it.

I've got an annual report to prepare for the parish, a presentation to ready for a workshop out in Colorado, a Lenten series to figure out (more on Lent and Prelent at the start of next week, God willing), and some other planning to tend to.

God willing, it will be a largely quiet week and I'll get that stuff done by the end of it.

Now, onto something totally different, I am befuddled at why coffee beans whole should end up costing more than coffee beans ground. It makes no sense to me. And, alas, the coffee tastes soooo much better from the bean freshly ground than from the prepackaged grounds.

And for those of you who are balking at the recent decision to sell eggs as though the yokes were made of gold, I am happy to report that we continue to enjoy the most wonderful eggs from our dear neighbors and parishioners, the Luekers, though the price has now risen to, ahem, $.80 per dozen. Yup, farm fresh eggs from free range chickens for $.80. A miracle in this day and age - and absolutely delicious.

Stuff for service is all tended to. Bekah and Cindi are out playing tennis (they think it's that warm; I think they're nuts). David is at work. And I have a novel that is waiting to be finished. A great Saturday indeed. Wishing one and all a joyous feast of Our Lord's Baptism!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to the conference in Colorado!

Rev. Charles Lehmann said...

How much do you have to pay for coffee and what kind of roast do you like? I can get unground organic fair trade beans at my local foofoo grocery store for $6.99 per pound.

If you save some room in your suitcase and let me know what you want, I can have a few pounds for you when you arrive in February.

Rev. Charles Lehmann said...

Actually, if you let me know now, I could take some to Symposia and have Jeff deliver it to you. ;-)

William Weedon said...

Thanks, Charlie, but that's about what it is at Market Basket. It's just that the stuff in the cans is a couple dollars cheaper per pound!

Rev. Charles Lehmann said...

I think that the stuff in the can is lower grade coffee and has a large dirt component, which we know isn't in fresh ground because you don't put any dirt in the grinder.

I thought you were saying that the high quality coffee was cheaper ground than unground and that just seemed odd.

Rev. Paul T. McCain said...

The stuff in the cans is el-cheapo coffee compared to the higher quality beans sold whole.