13 August 2008

Patristic Quote of the Day

For we have all things from Christ. Both existence itself we have through Him, and life, and breath, and light, and air, and earth. And if He were to exclude us from any one of these, we are lost and undone. For 1 Peter 2:11 we are sojourners and pilgrims. And all this about mine, and yours, is bare words only, and does not stand for things. For if thou do but say the house is yours, it is a word without a reality: since the very air, earth, matter, are the Creator's; and so are you too yourself, who hast framed it; and all other things also. But supposing the use to be yours, even this is uncertain, not on account of death alone, but also before death, because of the instability of things. -- St. John Chrysostom, Homily on 1 Corinthians 4

2 comments:

Mike Keith said...

What a great quote. The more I read of Chrysostom the more I like! No wonder is is the second most quoted Father in the Confessions after Augustine!

Anonymous said...

Coming from my fundamentalist Church, I find it surprising to enjoy John Chrysostom so much, but I just cannot help myself.