12 October 2008

A Beautiful Prayer

In the Treasury of Daily Prayer there is a section with prayers for every day of the week. Sunday's prayer wraps up with these words:

Let the Last Day come soon, so that we, released from all strife, may behold You with all saints and angels face-to-
face and sing our praises to You better than we are now able. Amen. Yes, come Lord Jesus! Amen.

Isn't that beautiful? "Better than we are now able." Now is the time of practice for the joys of eternity, for the songs of doxology that will never end. Our songs are feeble now, but they will wax strong and perfect on that joyous day when we see our Lord Jesus with all his saints and the angels face-to-face.

It reminds me of the Queen of the Chorales:

What joy to know, when life is past,
The Lord we love is first and last,
The end and the beginning!
He will one day, oh, glorious grace,
Transport us to that happy place
Beyond all tears and sinning!
Amen! Amen!
Come, Lord Jesus!
Crown of gladness!
We are yearning
For the day of Your returning! LSB 395:6

5 comments:

Rev. James Leistico said...

the nice lady at CPH told me Oct 23 I could get my copy of TDP. until then I ask you to bear with my weakness of wanting to yell at you to "STOP RUBBING IT IN MY FACE THAT YOU HAVE IT AND I DON'T!!!!"

William Weedon said...

Now, Jimbo, control yourself. There's nothing wonderful about trying the use thing in the PDF review files that I have on the computer. I'm looking forward to the day I can TRASH them all.

Rev. James Leistico said...

sorry. prednasone (sp) is a steroid. so I'm blaming roid rage for my recent behavior.
but still, at least you have PDF files for Oct 8-Nov 1. I was enjoying September through October 7 on CPH's new online reader. Now I'm going through withdrawals.

William Weedon said...

Go back and visit the CPH site again and I think you'll find a pleasant surprise that will get you through the end of October.

Rev. James Leistico said...

just came over to say that I found the current pdf on my second try. first link still takes you to the old reader though.