17 November 2008

Old Lutheran Quote of the Day

AND it's my tribute to the Treasury of Daily Prayer for the day. An unbelievably powerful quote from none other than C. F. W. Walther, on the Cross:

On account of this, the cross is both holy and blessed! Once nothing but a dry piece of wood, it was changed, like Aaron's staff, into a green branch full of heavenly blossoms and fruit. Once an instrument of torment for the punishment of sinners, it now shines in heavenly splendor for all sinners as a sign of grace. Once the wood of the curse, it has now become, after the Promised Blessing for all people offered Himself upon it, a tree of blessing, an altar of sacrifice for the atonement, and a sweet-smelling aroma to God. Today, the cross is still a terror - but only to hell. It shines upon its ruins as a sign of victory over sin, death and Satan. With a crushed head, the serpent of temptation lies at the foot of the cross. It is a picture of eternal comfort upon which the dimming eye of the dying longingly looks, the last anchor of his hope and the only light that shines in the darkness of death. (Treasury of Daily Prayer, p. 922 - SEE! You know you WANT this book!!!)

6 comments:

Rev. Jim Roemke said...

A really beautiful devotional reading from Walther. I shared this with the students and faculty at West Michigan Lutheran High School today for their chapel (and also encouraged them all to purchase this wonderful resource!) This is a truly amazing tool for the development of piety.

Anonymous said...

Agreed...a magnificent Walther quote. I blogged it also this morning, but interestingly picked up on the earlier paragraph. Between the two of us, I guess we covered it well (grin)!

BTW, I just got the Treasury last week and am finding it to a truly amazing resource...it is fantastic!

T.C.

Anonymous said...

Rev. Weedon, I am in the habit of sending out e-devotions to my congregation on Mondays and when I had concluded my extra thoughts about Sunday's Gospel, I included that snippet from TDP. When I prayed it my eyes were opened again to the beauty of the cross and its eternal relevance. Thanks for sharing this. Jeremy

Becky said...

Beautiful! That reading was the first day I started using the TDP.

My copy just got here a few days ago, and I am so glad I got it. I have a week to become familiar with it before I start reading it to my family when Advent begins.

I have to thank you, Pastor Weedon, for helping me through the loss of Issues, Etc. last spring. By popping in here repeatedly, I became reaquainted with the Lutheran teachings of my youth. And now I have this Treasury to feast on every day. Thanks be to God.

Becky

William Weedon said...

Jim, TC, and Jeremy,

Amen, amen, amen!

Yes, the Treasury is really phenomenal. I continually am amazed as I use it. It's so easy, so complete, so, well, FULL.

Becky,

Thanks for the kind words on the blogging. And you must let me know how it works using TDP with your family. I've not heard much feedback on that.

Anonymous said...

This quote reads similarly to many medieval sermons on the cross.