26 January 2009

Lectio Divina

Today's reading from Zechariah held three precious verses to me:

And I will be to her a wall of fire all around, declares the Lord, and I will be the glory in her midst. (2:5)

And so the people lived in a place with no man-made walls, for the Lord alone suffices to protect His people. They need have no fear of those around them, for the Lord IS their protection.

And many nations shall join themselves to the Lord in that day, and shall be my people. And I will dwell in your midst and you shall know that the Lord of hosts has sent me to you. (2:11)

Join themselves to the Lord and thus are His people. Strikes me that this is quite a LUTHERAN way of talking - the Church results from faith's joining a person to the Blessed Trinity and thus she is the company of all those who have done so. To be "in" the Church without this faith "joining" to the Lord is to to be dead in the company of the living!

I will remove the iniquity of this land in a single day. (3:9)

And not just of that land, but of all lands, and all in a single day, a single dark and stormy Friday when total sin was upon the Son of Man and total forgiveness was given to our fallen race.

No comments: