13 January 2009

Challenging Words from Krauth...

We must also look with different eyes on those bodies whose historical record and present acts are in accordance with their official principles on which they rest their right to exist; and those which desert the principles which gave them name, creeds, and position - these bodies which exist on one principle and act on another, which lengthen their lives by abandoning what they once considered sacred, ignoring their history, concealing their confessed doctrines, or evading the necessary consequences of them, and who make their name and their very right to existence a fraud, - and whose intensest hatred is inflicted on those who remind them of their history, and of the doctrines which gave them their original being. [The Relation of the Lutheran Church to the Denominations Around Us]

5 comments:

Dcn. Carlos Miranda said...

Pastor, I realy gleaned a great deal form the last portion of this book that you posted. Is this book still in print? I seached without success.

William Weedon said...

It's somewhere out on the internet. I googled it and found a copy that I downloaded from Google Books. I think it's an essay inside a larger work. But Googling Krauth and The Relations of the Lutheran Church should get you to it.

Schütz said...

Thanks for the tip, Pastor. I was looking for it, and the only reference on the whole of the net to the full title was your blog! Ironic, since I am posting about your comment on my blog right now. Give me about half an hour and there will be something there...

Good quote, btw.

Matt Carver (Matthaeus Glyptes) said...

Great stuff. I was wondering about Krauth after reading Rich Ritchie's essay on Krauth's apparent use of the Hegelian dialectic to view church history. I found the essay in a book called _Let Christ Be Christ_.

Kristofer Carlson said...

First Free Lutheran Diet in America, Philadelphia, December 27-28, 1877

See the second essay by Krauth, beginning on page 27.