16 February 2009

Visitors

One of the joys of living next to St. Paul's is when folks stop in to see the Church. Sitting right along old Route 66 and current Highway 55, St. Paul's has been a landmark for years. Today a retired Baptist minister and his wife stopped and asked to see inside. The bright afternoon sunshine pouring in through the opal stained glass windows filled the room with a warm, almost summery light. The two images of our Lord dominate the room, for the altar area is actually a little dark (its stained glass windows were blocked by a wall put up in the 1950's). The room, especially in the afternoon, bespeaks peace, calm, joy, prayer. I never pass through it this time of the day without stopping to soak in the atmosphere. A pity that so many of our members have never been in the room when the light is shining in like that. The Baptist minister and his wife commented on how beautiful the nave and the church were, and then they headed on down the road toward Springfield, Missouri. I'm glad God brought them to my door this afternoon, and that I got to spend some time enjoying the Church with them.

5 comments:

Elephantschild said...

My own church, architecturally pretty similar to yours (at least as much as one can judge from pictures) has images of Christ on four walls, plus the altar - surrounded by Jesus!

At midwinter, a few days before Christmas, the sun is so low in the sky that it shines directly on the baptismal font and crucifix in a perfect pool of sunlight. It's the only time of the year it happens, and I watch for it each year.

William Weedon said...

Jen, I'd love to see that!

Scott, I actually agree. :) Someday!

Anonymous said...

I traveled between St. Louis and Chicago quite often during college and seminary. I knew I was close to 'home' at seminary when I drove past St. Paul's. Usually it was late at night, so I never stopped in. But it was a great landmark.

Jeremy

Anonymous said...

I guess that's one advantage to being along the main caravan route instead of off the beaten track like we have in Mt. Pulaski...
Oh well, I guess we'll have to bite the bullet and move the church to Elkhart (also on historic Route 66 and I-55).

Never mind. Let's just start a mission congregation and get hte architecture and art right the first try.

Former Vicar

Rev. David M. Juhl said...

I'd like to be the first to sign a petition to tear down that wall behind your altar and bring back those quaint stained glass windows in the apse. It would add such a nice touch to the chancel.