27 April 2009

The Rain

"Thou visitest the earth and waterest it; Thou greatly enrichest it with the river of God, which is full of water."

And with Aufdemberge's music ringing in my ears, I drove through a drenching April rain this afternoon to commune Ruth over in Greenville. Such beauty - the lush green of Spring and the sound of the rain. The creeks were beginning to churn with the extra water in the flats before you approach Greenville itself.

Ruth looked kind of down and I mentioned that to her, after we'd had devotion and communion. And she smiled a sad, but peaceful, smile and said: "I am most of the time - except when I think about Jesus. We can't get better than what He gives us." Our meditation had been on the imperishable inheritance kept for us in heaven. I held her hand and smiled. She spoke the truth of all truths - and it can cheer up a person even stuck in a nursing home with a body that no longer behaves itself.

As I drove home in the rain, through the lush green foliage, the image of Ruth sitting in her wheel chair and her face as she shared that with me stayed. And the rain kept pouring.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It's better than snow at 2:45pm on April 27, 2009. I keep telling myself that God really intends it to be rain but ........our broken world makes it snow?!?????????????

William Weedon said...

LOL. Marlene, like I told you, time to MOVE SOUTH!!! :)