12 December 2009

Arise, O Christian People

Arise, O Christian people!
Prepare yourselves today;
Prepare to greet the Savior,
Who takes your sins away.
To us by grace alone
The truth and light were given;
The promised Lord from heaven
To all the world is shown.

Prepare the way before Him;
Prepare for Him the best.
Cast out what would offend Him,
This great, this heavenly guest.
Make straight, make plain the way:
The lowly valleys raising;
The heights of pride abasing,
His path all even lay.

The humble heart and lowly
God raises up on high;
Beneath His feet in terror
The haughty soul shall lie.
The heart sincere and right,
That heeds God's invitation
And makes true preparation -
It is the Lord's delight.

Prepare my heart, Lord Jesus;
Turn not from me aside,
And help me to receive You
This blessed Advent-tide.
From stall and manger low
Come now to dwell within me;
I'll sing Your praises gladly
And forth Your glory show!
LSB 354

1 comment:

Rev. James Leistico said...

out of nowhere last night as the kids were getting ready for bed (and I think I was changing your goddaughter's diaper), 6 year old Emma started singing this on her own by memory.
God bless Trinity Lutheran School-Red Bud (Prairie)!