14 December 2009

Letter to a Friend

who wrote asking about Atkins.

Hi, X!

I'm always happy to extol Atkins. I weigh LESS now than I did when I graduated from high school - and that was after pushing 200 myself. Now I stay between 145 and 150.

Couple thoughts:

1. YOU CAN DO THIS. It is totally possible!
2. The first couple weeks with Atkins is the hardest. You will think you will die (or kill) for a piece of bread! Just stick strictly to the Atkins Induction plan for 2 weeks to get your weight loss going. You'll be surprised at how fast it works at first.
3. Pay CAREFUL attention to the next phase, where you learn how many carbs you can add back in and still be losing weight. Here's where most folks blow it. Too many carbs back in and then they stall and give up. Add them gradually!
4. Find some great Low-carb recipe sites - there's tons of tasty food out there the low-carb way. My wife and I enjoy pizza - even on induction - the crust is made of cheese! It's great. Google for Linda Sue's low carb recipes. You can't go wrong with that girl.
5. Most people can do Atkins just fine and end up with great cholesterol readings after being on it; a small minority cannot and end up with higher readings. Get your blood work done and track that just to make sure. I get mine done every couple years now. The doctor never wants to do it because it was always so good, but I insist. He always says: "I don't care what you're doing, just keep it up!"
6. Remember that Low-carbing is a life-style choice and it is not a diet, but a way of eating that is life-long; if you go off it, you will gain back and gain back as fast as the weight came off.
7. Exercise is great too, but when I started low-carbing I wasn't exercising. I still lost and got myself back into the 150's. Dropping lower into the 140's and shaping up the bod was the result of a commitment to work out three times a week come hell or high water.

Hope that's some help!

7 comments:

Hemmer said...

While no one can deny your svelte physique, a trait which no doubt adds to your pastoral winsomeness, and while those of us who occasionally dine with you enjoy the extra grains Dr. Atkins would have you pass our way, I'll admit this article made me think of you and chuckle:
http://www.michaelpollan.com/article.php?id=71

William Weedon said...

LOL! That's funny. Actually, something Cindi and I have noted, Pastor Hemmer, is that I actually end up SICK when I eat carbs. I'll bet there is some food allergy going on in there somewhere. I used to always have upset stomach, cramps and just figured, well, that was life. But when eating lo-carb, well, it just doesn't happen. Which is pretty sweet! Er, I mean, pretty splenda. ;)

Hemmer said...

Fair enough. As someone who has had peanut and tree nut allergies since before peanut allergies were cool, when someone plays the allergy card, I'll acquiesce.

William Weedon said...

It doesn't change the fact, of course, that my MOUTH still loves bread and rice and cornbread above all - even my stomach can't handle them...

Trent said...

I think this would be doubly hard for an Orthodox to do, with traditional fasting on Wed, Fri and the four fasts of the year. Do you know any Orthodox who have pulled it off? With all dairy and meat off limits for 2 days a week plus the four fasts, I'm not sure what you would eat?

Dcn. Carlos Miranda said...

Thanks for the tips- after being impressed by your progress, I started low carbing and running about 6 weeks ago; I'm down 16 lbs & feeling great. You're absolutely correct, it's a lfe-style not a diet.

Mike Keith said...

The South Beach Diet is also a good alternative to the Atkins. Similar in philosophy as it is a life style rather than a short term fix. Restrict carbs and sugars but you don't starve yourself - you just eat the right things. Though, this time of year it is a challenge indeed...

I'm 40 pounds down since last February with the South Beach Diet and 30 mins exercise daily. The only problem is my pants don't fit anymore... :-)