03 April 2010

The sun sinks lower...

...and the Great Vigil is less than an hour and a half away now. The house is filled with the smells of tasty treats of all kinds, some awaiting our return from Church tonight, some for tomorrow's feast. The afternoon has been a blessedly relaxed one. Have had the joy of four Luther sermons for Easter (and Easter Eve). Picked up the Gerhard, but I just couldn't connect with him this time round; and went back for more Luther. I especially laughed at how he read Mark's Gospel and then preached Matthew's and John's for the resurrection - the joy of being Christ's brothers. His homily on the epistle for Easter was outstanding as well. Starck's sets the tone for the joy of the Feast about to begin:

Rejoicing in my risen Redeemer, my soul says: the resurrection of Jesus is my own resurrection. Since the Head has risen, the members cannot remain in death. However, on the Last Day I will not simply rise like all others, but I will rise as a child of God, a joint-heir with Christ, by virtue of His merit and atonement. And so I do not fear the grave. I regard it as a chamber of rest where my Savior will let me sleep until He speaks and says: Arise, O dead, and appear before the judgment seat. Oh, the greatness of the glory my Savior has gained for me! Risen Jesus, how can I ever announce, glorify and praise Your goodness enough? Oh, the Love that bestows on me life and salvation! Now all injury caused by the fall of Adam has been superabundantly repaired. (pp. 89,90)

No comments: