24 February 2011

It has been entirely too long

since I shared the joys of living with David, our artist (let the reader understand) son.

So a couple days ago, his mom woke him early and mentioned that it was icy out, and he'd best start his car to let it warm up and de-ice.  He did so (after trying to palm the keys off on his mother; she wisely refused and suggested he get his rear out of bed).  A bit later he's not leaving on time.  We wonder at that, for he'd gotten up early after all.  Finally, he comes upstairs sheepfacedly and admits that he's been um, trying to find his car keys...

Tonight he comes flying in the house - he and Meaghan had something they were attending at SIUE and he realized he left his ticket at home.  He searches high and low and it's not there.  Then he remembers:  "It's in the car."  So he made the trip home to look for a ticket he had in his car the whole time.  He honked and drove off.

Ah, life with David is never dull.  And the fact that he MIGHT take after his father in these matters is to be entirely ignored, capiche?

12 comments:

scotty miller said...

The fact that, you forgot, "Not" to tell us that he might take after you, Is proof that he indeed does in that regard! We all could have only speculated????

Becky said...

I am noticing more and more how the things that my kids don't do so great are the very things I don't do so great at. And then I think, repentance is a very good thing. ;-) Enjoy your son while you have him!

Jeremy Loesch said...

What a great laugh you have provided! And I already recognize some traits/flaws that I possess in each of my three, even though they are only 6,3,and 14 mos.

Yikes. What will the next several years be like?

Jeremy

Anonymous said...

for me, in addition to the guilt one might have associated with passed on traits and flaws is the question of how they are passed on... oh,there might be the obvious things that a kid sees day in and day out but then there are opposites that are passed on and subtle things that there was no intention to pass on and those things that are so subtle that if you tried to imitate them or inculcate them you would have difficulty. Harvey Mozolak

Dennis Peskey said...

So just how far did this "acorn" fall from the "tree"?

William Weedon said...

That acorn may have fallen from the tree, but it's grown quite a bit taller than the tree it fell from - that's for sure!

Rev. Charles Lehmann said...

Man, I love your son. He's one of my favorite people in the whole universe.

And, to be honest, I think he acquired these skills from one of your vicars. ;-)

William Weedon said...

Harvey, talk about genetics! He has a trait that is totally unconscious and which is exactly like his great grandmother (Cindi's nana): when he is concentrating on anything (from buttering toast to writing up an essay), he sticks his tongue out. Just a little bit. Just like nana. The first time we saw it, we cracked up. My brother and I have a weird one two: we stand the exact same way - hands usually in pockets and heads invariably cocked to the same side. Cin once snapped a pic of us both looking at something on TV. Heredity is an odd thingy!

Kevin Scheuller said...

Ahhh.

ADD - the gift that keeps on giving. I, too, have this gift.

William Weedon said...

LOL. I KNEW that, Kevin. You're too much a kindred spirit...

Anonymous said...

My daughter is many times so much like her grandmother that it's eerie! Especially since they interacted only a few days after my daughter was born; my mother died when Mel was six months old.

--helen

jim krauser said...

So, the passport thing wasn't a one-off?