08 February 2014

The vast majority of the time...

...I love being "the daddy." But I HATE it when it comes time to put down an animal. We sadly had reached that point with our cat, Cathy. Been with us for 14 years or so. Was always an outdoors animal until we moved to the village almost two years ago. I was prepared to let her remain outside and ask the Gleasons to take over feeding her, but Bekah wouldn't hear of not bringing her along with us. So she moved into our new home. She was already sick - horribly thin - and continued to get so. We switched her to a completely non-cereal diet and she perked right back up. But she grew steadily more deaf and blind and finally was just acting confused (as in, where DID I leave that litter box?).  So I knew we'd have to do the dirty deed. Bekah is steadfastly opposed to euthanizing animals and I get that, but, well, I can't afford to replace a carpet. So today we took her in. Bekah held her much of the way. She and Cindi waited in the car, while I took her in and stayed with her till she died. Very sad. She was a regular fixture for so many years on the playground of the school. The children would race out for recess and always some would come looking for Cathy to hold and pet. She ate it up. She'd run to meet the kids. Well, as I wrote on FB, we'll commend her to the hope of our Lord's words:  "Behold, I make all things new."

2 comments:

Mimi said...

I'm so sorry, it's such a hard decision. Huge hugs to all, my hope is she's sleeping in a sunspot in Heaven.

David Jay Webber said...

On such occasions in our family, we have the custom of gathering and singing the hymn "All Things Bright and Beautiful."

And what Luther said about dogs should apply also to cats - if it actually applies to either:

"Be thou comforted, little dog. Thou too in Resurrection shall have a little golden tail."