21 March 2021

How is it possible

That our youngest child turns 30 today? I remember the day of her birth like it was yesterday. It was a beautiful day in North Carolina and the dogwoods were in full bloom. Remarkably, she was a vaginal birth after two c-sections. And yet she weighed in at a whopping 11 lbs and 10 ounces. Insane! The day we brought her home, I let Cindi rest and took Bekah on her first car ride: we stopped in at Miss Ruby’s shop so she could meet her. She took one look at her, her eyes got very wide, and she said: “Poor Cindi! She pushed THAT out?” Not EXACTLY the response I was expecting, but then again, the child did look like she was a month old rather than born earlier that morning!

She and I have had more than our fair share of knocking heads. Both of us feel perfectly free grumping at the other (in a way, oddly, that I do not tend to do with either her older sister or her brother); and we’ve had some knock down, drag outs over the years. But it always ends happily, after the tears, with hugs and kisses.

So very proud of the woman Rebekah has become, teaching school, and blessed with such an awesome husband. She and Andy are just perfect together. And right now they’ve opened up their home and are fostering a very sweet young lady, pouring love and care into a life that has not known them in the abundance she should have. 

Oh, Bekah is and I suspect always will be a bundle of energy and excitement (I joke that she often enough enters the house talking 90 miles an hour!). But she will always be my baby girl. Even if she is 30!







No comments: