23 June 2019

Trinity 1 and Cantata 75

I am befuddled why the hymn of the day for Trinity 1 is not “What God Ordains is Always Good” as in Bach’s Cantata 75 (which is a MUST listen meditation upon the Gospel of the day, Luke 16, Lazarus and the Rich Man).

What God ordains is always good,
Though I the cup am drinking
Which savors now of bitterness,
I take it without shrinking.
For after grief
God gives relief
My heart with comfort filling
And all my sorrow stilling.

What God ordains is always good:
This truth remains unshaken.
Though sorrow, need, or death be mine,
I shall not be forsaken.
I fear no harm,
For with His arm
He shall embrace and shield me;
So to my God I yield me. LSB 760:5,6 (Stanzas used in Cantata 75)

O Armut, der kein Reichtum gleicht! 
Wenn aus dem Herzen 
die ganze Welt entweicht 
und Jesus nur allein regiert, 
so wird ein Christ zu Gott geführt. 
Gib, Gott, daß wir es nicht verscherzen!

No comments: