20 May 2024

A little weird, but it works!

Aside from our morning walk at sunrise, saying our prayers, and eating breakfast, I have two things that I really like to get done early in the morning: my internet puzzles (wordle, quordle, sequence, nerdle, worldle, connections, and blossom - and in that precise order) but also my workout. What I’ve taken to do is interleaving them: wordle, 50 pushups, 6 pullups, 6 45-lb kb swings, record that, sit down and solve the next puzzle. Only the first and last get the 50-6-6 breakdown. The rest get 25-3-3. That means that at the end of puzzle-solving, my workout for the day is done (250 pushups, 30 pullups, 30 kb swings). My buddy Craig pointed out the obvious problem: if you get hung up on a puzzle, you have too long a stretch between the sets to get maximum benefit. That mostly happens to me on the final puzzle (blossom) and since that’s a big set to finish off, I haven’t been worrying about it. I actually tried this a couple weeks ago and fell in love with it, but my schedule with the School and Chapel through a wrench into getting it done every day. That’s through, and so I’m looking forward to a solid summer. I find that the physical / mental ping ponging is enormously satisfying. 

On prayers, I have changed up that routine a bit too (thanks to my friend, Kevin Martin!). He encouraged me to try using the LW schedule for reading through the Bible in a year. I’ve always done my Bible reading in conjunction with the praying of the daily office, and three chapters always seemed excessive. I’ve lately picked up my old Daily Office (and it’s available again, folks! Click here.) Instead of reading the full reading, I’m content with the Spruchvers for the day. So when Cindi and I finish Treasury together, I pull out my Daily Office, pray Matins using the stuff printed in the book exactly for the day, and THEN pick up my Bible to read according to the LW schedule. I’ve found myself really enjoying the deep dive through various books. 

No comments: