26 May 2024

Apple’s Ad Ticked Off a Lot of People…

…as it showed how one of its devices (in this case, the iPad) has become a functional replacement to a whole pile of things we used to use. Have you ever really listed it out? My “digital world” these days consists of an iPad, an iPhone, bluetooth earphones, an Apple Watch, an Apple TV and HomePod. For me, by far the most used items are my iPad, my iPhone, my watch. What have these things eliminated for me? 

Much of my library
All of my collected CDs / Albums 
Record players / CD Player / Hifi
My wallet and, well, money and credit / debit cards
Any regular use of paper, pencil, pens
Sticky notes
Tape recorder
Camera
Phone (we haven’t even ever had a landline in our home since we bought it in 2012)
Video recorder
Compass
Level
Calculator
GPS Device
Atlases and Maps
Laptop
Desktop
Photo Albums
Letter writing (for the most part)
Trips to the Bank
Trips to the Movie Theatre (for the most part)
Broadcast TV
Cable TV
File cabinets
Trips to the Library (our library provides access via the cloud and we download what we want)
Any number of games that I now play almost exclusively on my devices
Magazines / Newspapers

I’m sure I’m leaving tons of things out. Now, some people think that this is all pretty awful, and over all a loss. I honestly don’t feel that way at all. I am profoundly happy NOT to have all those things cluttering up my home and my life. Apple’s devices have streamlined my life. I could NEVER see going back to using a laptop or desktop ever again, let alone a camera or a GPS device. I still buy the occasional book. I’ll never give up my Bible for what’s on my phone. But over all, I think it was a great move to consolidate as many tasks as possible into a single machine. What do you guys think?




2 comments:

RC said...

The tradeoff for minimizing physical complication is accountability for immediate personal behavior. No one can tell if a guy on his iPad is using the calculator, or trafficking humans. You don't know if a person on a phone is being good or not.

Losing the weight of physical possessions comes with personal moral illegibility. (This concern is only relevant to those who spend a lot of time around persons to whom a debt of constant, small-scale good conduct is owed.)

Bill McCorkle said...

I’m quite happy to have the immediate availability that these Apple tools provide. I find that I need to resort to my MacBook for serious writing/word processing, but if I could master Word or Pages on my iPads I would be totally set.