30 September 2024

+Asleep in Jesus: Ralph C. Schultz

“Doc” was President of Concordia College when I attended there. He also was the director of the Festival Chorus (Gerry Coleman—may he also rest in peace—conducted the Tour and Chapel Choirs). When I heard of his passing this past week, my mind went back to a poem his wife had written and that he had set to music.We loved to sing it.

 In part it ran:

Joy is budding trees and raindrops,
Sunswept waves and golden sand;
Joy is amber-tinted forests,
New, white snow from God’s own Hand.
Joy is mother’s tender caring
For her tiny newborn child;
Joy is father’s gentle pruning
Of the young tree growing wild.
Joy is faith and hope and loving
Growing stronger through the years;
Joy is meeting life at sunset
Feeling no despair or fear.

Joy is being truly thankful
For the dawn of each new day.
Joy is working, praying, sharing
Ev’ry step along the way.
Joy is telling little children
Jesus shelters them from harm;
Joy is leading hopeless sinners
To His ever-open arms. 
Joy is Jesus’ strength around me;
Joy is Jesus’ love within;
Joy is knowing my Salvation;
That I’m free from death and sin.

Joy is living here for Him
Who gave Himself for me.
Joy is living there in heaven
To sing for joy eternally.

Life at sunset feeling no despair or fear.. I am sure that is how Doc met his end. For this wonderful man of God and the huge blessing he was to so very many in Christ’s Church: glory be to Thee, O Lord!

My last exchange with Doc was a couple years ago. Choir was singing one of his pieces (a setting of God of Grace) and I let him know we were doing. He asked me if I noticed anything interesting about the bass line. I had not! It was the melody line written backwards. He was truly a marvel. His “To Thee, O Christ Child” will always be one of my favorite Christmas pieces.

As our Eastern friends are wont to say: May his memory be eternal! And as we Westerners say: Rest eternal grant him, O Lord, and let light perpetual shine upon him.

(Thanks to Pr. Jim Krauser for finding the text for this song)

No comments: