07 February 2010

For Becky!

As requested, here is the anthem the choir sang this morning at St. Paul's, authored by our own Jonathan Schkade in both text and tune:

As the Rain from Heaven Comes

1. As the rain from heaven comes,
As snow falls from the sky,
And wets the earth and brings forth bud,
As I your bread supply,
So shall My Word go from My mouth,
So shall My Word go out.

REFRAIN: And you shall go with joy,
And peace shall lead you on,
And you shall go with joy.

2. My dear Word will not return
To Me short of its goal.
It will achieve My holy will
And prosper in your soul.
Receive the Word I send to you.
Receive the Word I send.
REFRAIN

3. As My Son from heaven comes
To live as mortal man
And walks the earth and brings forth life
As I work out My plan,
So is the Word among you now,
So is the Word with you.
REFRAIN

4. My dear Son will not return
To Me short of His goal.
He will achieve My holy will
By dying for your soul.
Receive the life He gives to you.
Receive the life He gives.
REFRAIN

5. As the rain from heaven comes,
Renewing tree and vine,
So too your heart has been reborn.
Forgiven, you now shine!
Live out the Savior's boundless love!
Live out the Savior's love!
REFRAIN

Copyright Jonathan Schkade, posted with permission of the author

7 comments:

Paul said...

Now THAT'S an good example of Lutheran CCM! Are the text and tune available for congregational use?

William Weedon said...

Paul,

I'll have Jonathan contact you.

scott said...

I agree, it is a wonderful song... great to hear and joyful to sing!

Becky said...

Thanks for posting it, Pastor. The choir sang it beautifully. It's a keeper!

J.G.F. said...

Nice!

I echo Paul's question. Any chance you can post the audio of the tune?

Also- the CC Bronxville Tour Choir sang a great arrangement of Isaiah 55 in 1978-79, but can't remember the composer. I think that was the year before you came??

Anonymous said...

The Seminary Chorus sang a wonderful Busarow arrangement of Isaiah 55 called "Seek the Lord" for Horn and Male Chorus...
Guess who ended up playing the Horn on tour?

F.V.

Joe said...

Also- the CC Bronxville Tour Choir sang a great arrangement of Isaiah 55 in 1978-79, but can't remember the composer. I think that was the year before you came??

It was Sven Lekberg.