06 February 2010

I have a silly friend...

...who complains that the Lutheran Service Book: Altar Book is unusable. It's not the only reason he's silly, but it's certainly one of them. This afternoon as I was preparing for tonight's liturgy, the thought struck me again about what a blessing the whole LSB series is. I set one ribbon for the propers, one for the prayer of the church, one for the start of the liturgy and one for the preface (and I have a permanent tab set to turn to the Sanctus). That's all it takes. Oh, and checking the Lectionary to make sure that the ribbon there is in the correct location for the observance (today for Sexagesima). Done. Count them up: four ribbons in the Altar Book and one in the Lectionary and you're ready to celebrate. Seriously, how much simpler could it be?

10 comments:

Rev. Thomas C. Messer, SSP said...

Yeah, but it takes a couple of years of breaking it in to make sure the thing stays open in the proper place. I remember a few occasions in the beginning when I would be in the middle of conducting the prayers and the pages would turn on me all of a sudden. But, I agree - not unusable at all, just more usable after a few years of breaking it in. :)

PHW said...

Now TDP is a bit cumbersome.

Sean said...

If it's the same silly friend, the answer is "one book. one ribbon. [one God and Father of us all.]" 2 ribbons if the prefaces are found elsewhere. 2-3 if you don't have the service memorized.

Rev. Allen Bergstrazer said...

I would never say unusable; but as mentioned getting the pages to obey can be a challenge. It's rather like dealing with the cowlick on a 4 year old boy.

I'm hoping that some day in the future the Altar book will be re-issued with the Psalms and propers first, which would then position the settings of the Divine service more in the middle, and perhaps the Altar book would be a bit more cooperative.
The LSB Altar book (or maybe its called the ritual edition) is laid out in this fashion.

Rev. Allen Yount said...

When my former congregation got the altar book I had the same problem making it stay on the page I was reading from. So I got some heavy duty magnets and stuck them between the pages. It worked - although not perfectly.

Rev. Karl Gregory said...

Very useable...IF the darn pages would stay where I want them!

Rev. Allen Bergstrazer said...

Correction; I should have said "The LBW Altar book is laid out in this fashion."

A couple of years ago I bought what I thought was an LBW pew edition on eBay, what I got was a brand new Altar book. I was impressed with how well its arrangement was thought out.

Christopher Esget said...

Brilliant idea about the permanent tab for the Sanctus. I'm doing that straightway.

The second edition of the LSB Altar Book is far superior than the first. You don't have any of the problems with the pages not staying open to the right place. (Plus, if you buy it, then you have another Altar Book to keep in your office. Wonderful!)

Rev. Allen Bergstrazer said...

I wasn't aware of a second ed., I'll check it out, thanks.

The things you learn on Weedon's blog...

IggyAntiochus said...

Cumbersome, yes. Very, very, very cumbersome! But not unusable, though. Just cumbersome