15 February 2010

Okay, I have to admit it...

...I am totally loving running for the last several weeks. Today I ran five + miles on the Y's indoor track; and I've been boosting the number of laps I sprint. Today, I sprinted 9 times around the track. Next time I want to sprint for 13 - which would make an entire mile at full speed (staggered between ordinary laps - which seem to get faster too).

Running is the perfect exercise for an introvert - it's almost an hour's worth of time all alone with my iPod delivering the Church's music into my ears.

I'm really itching to be able to run outside again. Yeah, I know those nuts up north do it all winter long (no offense, nuts), but that's not my idea of fun. Give me sunshine and warmth and I'm ready to hit the trail. The goal before this summer is up is to run 13 miles - a half marathon. Furtherest I got to last summer was 8 miles.

5 comments:

Rev. C. Brian Bucklew said...

I too am a big runner. My father is 59 and is going to run his 6th full marathon soon. I have run a half marathon race once. I am currently training for a full marathon.

Have you read the book 'Born to Run' yet?

http://books.google.com/books?id=lz8kvR8qBZkC&pg=PP1&dq=born+to+run&cd=1#v=onepage&q=&f=false

William Weedon said...

I've not read it. But if you and your dad recommend it, it sounds worth checking into!

William Weedon said...

I downloaded it and began reading it in my iPhone's Kindle app. Totally engrossing. Thanks for the suggestion!

LambertsOnline said...

Good luck on reaching your goal. I'm sure you can do it.

Last fall, at age 55, I ran in my first 5K race and really enjoyed it. Living here in Michigan, I'm with you... no cold weather running for me.

Anonymous said...

Question: Where does the bike go while one runs? Would I have to carry it on my back?

- Jeff