24 February 2010

What is it about...

...Passion Vespers that is so peaceful? The calm and silence before the Passion invites a soul in. It's always odd when the reading is longer than the homily. Yet that reading is the pulsing center from which the peace flows out. Much as I love Evening Prayer, I must confess that the austerity of the Vespers liturgy suits the Passion reading better. We wrapped up tonight with the Great Litany - taking all sorts and conditions of men to the Blessed Trinity in prayer.

3 comments:

Rev. Charles Lehmann said...

We aren't doing the passion reading this year, but I must say that I agree about Vespers fitting Lent very well.

Last night was a wonderfully sublime meditation on God's Word.

I'm really enjoying using last year's series from CPH.

William Weedon said...

Ah, I wondered if that was what you were using.

Rev. Charles Lehmann said...

It's what my new colleague in town used last year. Since he's being installed this Sunday, we decided that since we do joint Lenten services that we'd do it in Garrett County this year.

It makes an easier first Lent here for him, and I enjoy your preaching.

It's a win-win.