09 October 2005

Patristic Quote for the Day

and the rest of the prayer of St. Ambrose (the first half is at the end of Homily for Trinity 20):

Look therefore upon me with the eyes of Thy mercy, O Lord Jesus Christ, eternal King, God and Man, crucified for man. Hearken unto me whose trust is in Thee: have mercy upon me who am full of misery and sin, Thou Fountain of mercy that will never cease to flow. Hail, Victim of salvation, offered for me and for all mankind upon the Altar of the Cross. Hail, noble and precious Blood, flowing from the wounds of my crucified Lord Jesus Christ, and washing away the sins of the whole world. Remember, O Lord, thy creature, whom Thou hast redeemed with Thine own blood. It grieves me that I have sinned, and I desire to amend what I have done. Take away therefore from me, O most merciful Father, all my sins and iniquities; that being purified both in soul and body; I may be made meet worthily to taste the Holy of holies; And grant that this foretaste of Thy body and blood, which I, unworthy purpose to take, may be for the remission of sins; for the perfect cleansing of my faults; the driving away of shameful thoughts, and the renewal of good desires, the healthful performance of works well-pleasing unto Thee; and the most sure protection of soul and body against the wiles of my enemies. Amen.

No comments: