31 December 2009

From Starck's Upon New Year's Eve

And so I now cast myself before Your throne and plead for mercy. O Lord, remember not the sins of my youth; according to Your mercy remember me for Your goodness’ sake. Enter not into judgment with me; for I can no more be justified before You than any sinful being. Cleanse me from all sins, also my secret faults. If during this year I have failed to listen as devoutly and attentively as I ought to have to Your revealed Word, which makes me wise unto salvation, forgive my inattention, and let me from now on be changed from being a mere hearer into a doer of Your Word. If I have not loved You and my neighbor as I should have, remove from my heart all coldness and kindle the fire of divine love in my soul so that I can love You with my all and my neighbor as myself. If in my vocation and in the works of my calling I have not shown proper faithfulness, forgive me in Your great mercy, and grant that in the future I may better apply the talent You’ve entrusted to me. At all times may I be found a good steward, ready to face You when You shall call me to render an account of my trust. There is forgiveness with You, O God; and so I seek forgiveness with You. Now that the year is closing, blot out the record of my guilt, which is great indeed. Cancel it with the precious blood of my Savior, which I make my own by faith. Let my sins vanish like mist from before Your eyes. Remove them far from me and remember them no more ever again, lest in the new year I should have to appear in Your sight as a debtor.

Further, take me under Your gracious protection this night and be a wall of fire around me, that no harm befall me. Should this night prove the last for me in this dark vale of tears, then lead me, Lord, to heaven to You and to Your saints in glory. May I thus live to You and die to You, O Lord of hosts! In life and death You help me from every fear and need. But if according to Your counsel I am appointed to live on for more years; if on waking, I am to enter a new year, let Your goodness accompany me. Lead me in Your paths. Make me godly in word and deed. Guide me in an even way, and do not take Your Holy Spirit from me, that I may live for You, serve You, and obey You. Yes, my God, this is the only thing I ask of You before I fall asleep: give me a new mind and spirit in the new year, a spirit which shall unhesitatingly perform what Your commandment bids me do, that my spirit, together with my soul and body, may remain the abode of Your Holy Spirit.

-- pp. 67, 68

5 comments:

Bishop Robert Lyons said...

Pastor Weedon,

Not directly related to your post, but I wanted to take this chance to thank you for a wonderful 2009 of insights and reflections. I look forward to reading more here in 2010.

I strongly admire your fidelity to the faith and enjoy reading the thoughts you have to share. Thank you for taking the time out to write here.

Blessings for a new year,
Rob+

Larry Everett said...

'Amen' to comment #1. Your are a great source of inspiration to me on my daily walk in the Faith.

Rec'd a Starck's PB for Xmas. It exceeds expectations. Thanks for your part in publishing the new edition.

William Weedon said...

Father and Larry,

What kind words. I appreciate the encouragement. May the Lord richly bless you both and your families in the new year. Pax!

J.G.F. said...

I'll 'third' that.

No services here this year-- once again snowed out. Bummer. So unlike Long Island weather....

Well, I guess I have homilies ready for next year...

Blessed New Year to you!

William Weedon said...

Thanks, John. I'll look forwarding to seeing you in Houston - God willing no hurricanes...