27 February 2021

Hedonistic Adaptation

That’s a term I learned from Mr. Money Mustache. But I was thinking about it in regards to the difference between the home I live in and the home I grew up in (we won’t even go into my grandparent’s home!). I just started listing out the things that I have come to take for granted that I certainly did not grow up with in our little post WWII bungalow in the Maryland suburbs:
  • Central air
  • Microwave
  • Garage (let alone three car garage; and those magical garage door openers!)
  • More than one car
  • More than one full bath
  • Dishwasher
  • Microwave
  • Coat closet
  • Color TV (oh, and all the “remotes” - I’m not sure if the plethora of those is actually a blessing or not! I struggle to use them)
  • Deck
  • Fireplace
  • Master bedroom with its own bath (two sinks even!) and larger than normal closet
  • Entertainment Room
  • Home gym (hey, mine’s not pretty, but it’s got everything I need!)
  • A home office
  • Dryer
  • Pool
  • Driveway
  • Children’s playroom (attached to the entertainment room; perfect for the grandchildren, the toys all stay downstairs!)
  • The whole tech area: Homepods, iPads, etc. We had, you know, a phonograph. 
I usually don’t even think about any of these things as “luxuries”—they’ve just become second nature to me. But when I remember the house I grew up in, I realize how very blest we are with such things that I’ve long since grown to take utterly for granted. And I’m sure I’ve forgotten stuff. What about you? What are things that you have grown accustomed to that you certainly did not grow up with? 

No comments: