14 February 2006

Your Body, So Full of Divine Power...

Pre-Communion Prayer of the Blessed Johann Gerhard...

Almighty Lord Jesus Christ, source of life and immortality, as I come to Your holy table to refresh my spirit, I pray You to make me, unworthy as I am, worthy through Your grace; impure as I am to make me clean; naked as I am to clothe me, so that Your Body, so full of divine power, and Your most precious blood, may not become for me, Your servant, the occasion for judgment or punishment,but a memorial of the death You underwent for me, a strengthening of my faith, a proof of the taking away of my sin, a bond of closer union with You, an increase of holiness, the basis of a glad resurrection, and a pledge of eternal life. Amen.

2 comments:

Wartburg said...

How, then, shall we understand those things which are beyond all our senses, in the Word alone? Thus it is in the Word alone that the bread is the body of Christ, that the wine is the blood of Christ. This must be believed; it must not and cannot be understood.-Martin Luther

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this so much! I hope you don't mind my putting it on my blog as well.