22 April 2008

A Morning Storm

It was delightful. Dark as dusk, and then the rain came and poured down. I stood at the door of the front porch for a while just watching it as it watered the earth. I opened all the blinds in my office to watch it as poured.

I don't know why I like morning storms more than the usual afternoon thunder-bumpers, but they always remind me of such rains from childhood and of the Aufdemberge choir piece we sang at Bronxville: "Thou visitest the earth and waterest it; thou greatly enrichest it with the river of God which is full of water."

Who doesn't remember going out and puddle jumping after a beautiful and warm spring rain? Out back the birds are still at the feeders, rain or no rain. Four yellow finches on their feeder and some sparrows and wrens on theirs. No doubt celebrating Goldberry's washing day.

2 comments:

Brian Yamabe said...

What a coincidence, I'm re-reading The Ring Trilogy and I'm right at Tom Bombadil's house.

And speaking of water, I just started uploading your series "The Liturgy of Holy Baptism" at Wittenberg Media.

Anonymous said...

who remembers...I still go puddle jumping!
cept nothing beats the puddles in the grass behind the school...