22 June 2010

It was upon this day

some 24 years ago that Pr. Richard Hinz laid hands on me as I knelt before the altar of my beloved Lutheran Church of St. Andrew and placed me into that Office that preaches the reconciliation in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.

Dr. Nagel had taught me the great joy of the name of the Lord.  That's the name into which I had been baptized earlier in the same Church; that's the name invoked as Cindi and I were married before that self-same altar; that's the name now into which I was ordained and sent forth to serve.

As I think of my life as a pastor in Christ's Church, I am overwhelmed by two things:  my huge personal inadequacy for this task and the Lord's superabundant grace that is more than sufficient.  There are times I think he made me a minister so that he might save my soul.

I cannot imagine ever being or doing anything else in my life, for this - despite the ups and downs - has been an utter joy, and I thank the Lord for the unspeakable and utterly undeserved honor, crying out with all the saints:

Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be forever!  Amen.

7 comments:

Bishop Robert Lyons said...

Congratulations, Pastor Weedon, on the 24th anniversary of your ordination. I celebrated my 13th anniversary last Friday, and as I was spending time reflecting on that day, I definately expressed many of the same thoughts that you did in your post. The ministry is no cakewalk, but I can't imagine anything else as a calling for me.

May your anniversary day bring you much joy, and may your ministry bring the joy of God's Grace to the people of St. Paul's and to all those you touch, through the Internet, and through your other labors for the kingdom.

Rob+

PS- Perhaps, on account of your anniversary, you will dominate this week at Liverpool.

Jeremy Loesch said...

Will, Pr. Hinz is one of the reasons I am where I am today, that is, in the Office. He is a fine churchman. I remember as a little child his visits to my home to share a meal with my dad and mom and to inquire of my dad's health in the ministry. He's a fine example. Glad you brought Pr. Hinz to mind.

Happy Anniversary!
Jeremy

Rev. David M. Juhl said...

24 and many more! Congratulations William!

Becky said...

Happy Anniversary, Pastor. You are a blessing to us.

William Weedon said...

Thanks, all, for the kind words and wishes!

Past Elder said...

That makes it 1986! Judas H. In 1986 I was 10 years away from being a Lutheran, and 20 from being LCMS.

Running into blogs like this -- including exactly this -- was a major factor in the latter, so I'll admit my congratulations have a little angle to them.

Rev. James Leistico said...

there are times when I think He made me a minister so that I would pay attention to the sermons - oh, and save my soul, too.
I join the chorus of those glad He did this to you and for you.