21 June 2010

When I Told My Pastor

that I wanted to study to be a Lutheran pastor, I'll never forget what he did.  He took his copy of Walther's Law and Gospel (Dau) and handed it to me.  He said:  "It's out of print now, but you need to read this.  I want it back, but if you get a copy you should read it every year."  It's that kind of a book.  Must read material.

Back in the day when we were still doing theological interviews to graduate from seminary, Dr. Nagel reportedly asked a fellow to summarize Walther's Law and Gospel for him.  Fellow confessed he hadn't read it.  He was sent packing to read it and then come back and talk to the committee.  It's that kind of a book.  Must read material.

Saturday I received a copy of the new edition of Law and Gospel and it is REALLY well done.  I want to finish working through it before I actually write it up, but count me mega-impressed at what looks to be another CPH home -run.  It's so pretty I don't want to mark in it - but I know I will.  Problem with my Dau copy is that it ended up being MOSTLY underlined and highlighted; wanna take bets on this copy meeting the same fate?  Only here I have LOTS of room in the margin for my notes.

My pastor and Dr. Nagel were right:  this book is a must read book, and not just for Lutheran pastors but for any layman who wants the sheer joy of sitting at Walther's feet.  It is a delight to see it offered in fresh English and in such a beautiful volume.  Thanks, CPH.

4 comments:

Elephantschild said...

So glad to see this. I had wanted to borrow my father-in-law's copy; alas, as a World War II refugee whose first language was German, he chose to buy nearly all his theology books auf Deutsch!

Bibliophile said...

Our copies for us, each of our boys and my father-in-law will be here by the end of the week! I can't wait. If it is anything like the reader's edition of the Book of Concord, it will be a wonderful treasure.
I agree with you, Walther is a must read. I never could bring myself to mark up my Dau though. Too much of a bibliophile to deface (!) a book that way! See you soon.

Paul said...

If widely read and applied, what wonders might we yet see?

HappyFox said...

Ours came today, along with "Selected Sermons of Norman Nagel", which was in the Amazon cart first and needed something to fill out the order to qualify for Super Saver Shipping (faster than CPH's regular shipping. And free.). :D