06 April 2007

O Darkest Woe

[the translation of stanzas 2-7 are copyrighted by my friend, Dr. Joseph Herl. I trust he will not sue me if I share them with you]

O darkest woe!
Ye tears, forth flow!
Has earth so sad a wonder?
God the Father's only Son
Now is buried yonder.

O sorrow dread!
Our God is dead,
Upon the cross extended.
There His love enlivened us
As His life was ended.

O child of woe!
Who struck the blow
That killed our gracious Master?
"It was I" thy conscience cries,
"I have wrought disaster."

Thy Bridegroom dead!
God's Lamb has bled
Upon thy sin forever,
Pouring out His sinless self
In this vast endeavor.

Such innocence!
His countenance
A fount of faith undying!
Worlds on worlds cannot contain
Grief at Him here lying.

O Virgin's Son!
What Thou hast won
Is far beyond all telling:
How our God, detested, died,
Hell and devil felling.

O Jesus Christ,
Who sacrificed
Thy life for lifeless mortals:
Be my life in death and bring
Me to heaven's portals!

(Original text by Friedrich von Spee and Johann Rist, LSB 448)

No comments: