17 June 2020

Catechesis

A couple months ago a friend (Pastor Lincoln Winter) sent along his excellent little volume Catechetics (see here: https://www.lulu.com/shop/lincoln-winter/catechetics-fixing-confirmation/hardcover/product-23991847.html). I do highly recommend the work.

After reading it, I contemplated my own time in the Catechism and was rather convicted that I had not been spending the time in it that I ought. So I ordered this gem from CPH:

I love this little volume! As my buddy Kal Waetzig would describe it, it is totally packy. 

Since receiving it, I have spent time each day praying and thinking about a part of the Catechism. I read the primary text, then the Small Catechism on it, then onto the Large Catechism. I've been through the whole once, started back again, and am up to the 9th and 10th commandments today (I put them together because that's how the LC treats them). I haven't allowed myself to write in my new little book yet, but the urge grows stronger by the day. There are sections that simply require highlighting and remembering!

A special delight? Note to yourself every single time Luther goes off on "the greatest treasure on earth." You'll find that whatever he's holding up for you to delight in at the moment is almost always so described. It's sweetly childlike and I have no idea if he ever realized how often he did this. But Lord God, please grant us all such a delight in whatever gift You happen to be giving us at the moment!

2 comments:

Timothy C. Schenks said...

I have a copy of that too. I think it would be a good idea to take the catechumens through the Large Catechism and the Augustana instead of all that time in the synodical explanations.

William Weedon said...

Timothy, I could not agree with you more (nor could Pr. Winter!).