16 June 2020

Has FB Killed Blogging?

I suppose it is distinctly possible. But I've gotten so discouraged with so-called social media over the last few weeks, that I've washed my hands one more time. I have done it in the past. Tried to move beyond it. Each time "work" has sucked me back into that vortex. I'm thinking "not this time, it won't."

I remember reading Lewis describing why he didn't bother with newspapers and such: it only made him feel guilty or helpless over situations he could do absolutely nothing about, and invited him to neglect the neighbor who was right at hand.

Very well, then. Time to cut that cord. We'll see if it will last this time. I'm tired of the manipulation; tired of the horrible way conversations don't happen on "social media" and the way one is simply boxed up and dispatched. Ye olde Blog has had its share of arguments over the years, but at least it was always possible to read and follow along the discussion. I never even figured that out for Facebook or for Twitter.

So I'm back to doing my writing here, and it's mostly just where I think out loud about this or that. No promises regarding frequency of posting or responses. If I choose to respond, I will, but please don't take it as an insult if there IS no response. Sometimes I just have nothing to say in response to a given responder's words.

So the last posting on this site was some Easter pics of the family, scattered during the COVID exile. Today I went for a walk in the early morning and I noted the far field: the wheat has already turned to its amber waves and is ready for harvest. June is swiftly passing! More late, God willing.

6 comments:

jdwalker said...

A welcome announcement since I don't have FB!

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to your thoughts, as always!

Nancy said...

Glad to hear it. I do FB but am thinking of undoing what little is there.

Josh the Seminarian said...

Well, that's too bad. I was really enjoying your quotes from the Fathers, and it was nice seeing another fellow Lutheran enjoying some of C.S. Lewis's more obscure writings. Your Twitter feed was one of a handful of others (like Mollie Hemingway) which comprised my "morning paper". And it was the place to go to get great snippets like your 'the pandemic is an assault by the Devil against the Church gathering around the Sacrament' (paraphrasing). Ah well. I do understand the pull back too. +Pax, my friend.

Timothy C. Schenks said...

I was wondering why you disappeared from Facebook, then I looked here.

Weekend Fisher said...

Oh hey you're back! Glad to see it.

Take care & God bless
Anne / WF