18 June 2020

Good question

A friend asked me a question last night: 

Random question that came to me last night reading Matthew 10:28: who is the referent of the one who can destroy both body and soul in Gehenna?

My response, for what it is worth:

I have often wondered on that one. Part of me WANTS it to be a reference to Satan. And that might be where Jesus is heading, but it wouldn't be terribly Hebrew of Him, if you know what I mean. I mean: He is Yahweh incarnate. He is the One who proclaims of Himself: "See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god besides me; I kill and make alive; I wound and I heal; and there is none that can deliver out of my hand." Deut. 32:39 And did not Jesus proclaim in Revelation that HE has the keys of death and hades? It is before His throne in Revelation 20 that the dead are judged and consigned either to the kingdom or the lake of fire. And speaking of Revelation, remember that shocking passage in 14:10... In the presence of the Lamb!

My friend agreed that that seemed to be the better reading, but NT Wright had sent him in the other direction. It just strikes me as ultimately a dualistic move: this attempt to evade Job's clear word, "You speak as one of the foolish women would speak. Shall we receive good from God, and shall we not receive evil?" And remember the Holy Spirit adds: "In all this Job did not sin with his lips." (Job 2:10)




No comments: