03 September 2020

I guess we are officially

Ready for old man winter. Chimney sweep came today to clean fireplace and flue. I have quite a fine load of firewood (with even a little help from our next door neighbors) that we got late in last year’s season, so quite cured by now. And if the Farmer’s Almanac is right (as it tends to be), this winter we just might need to use that firewood! 

We have two paintings in our home that are original oils. One by dear friend, Barb Brase; one by Cindi’s mom, Joanne DeVries. They both feature lots of blue sky and snow. The one from Barb in particular reminds me of my grandparent’s home and farm. It hangs over my chest of drawers in our bedroom. The painting from Cindi’s mom hangs over Aunt Fanny’s secretary in our living room. 

Every single year, when this time of year rolls around, I’m quite the sucker for those memories. Snow and cold outside, and the warmth of a fire inside warming the house. Yes, beyond shadow of doubt, I look forward each year to the first fire of the season, and the smell of the wood burning on the hearth that brings back such comforting memories from childhood. 

And yes, I am listening to Christmas music at the moment. Deal with it. :)

3 comments:

Rev. Paul T. McCain said...

Two words for you brother:

GAS FIREPLACE

A turn of the knob and you have a very realistic fire without all the hassle of burning wood. Plus..you are not a part of killing wonderful trees.

We went gas .. gosh, more years than I can remember and it is awesome. The "logs" they provide glow and it is just like the real things, without the smoke and odor that sets my asthma a-blazing.

:)

William Weedon said...

NEVER. Been there. Done that. Hated it. Not the same at all. Our son just built a home and he has one. Our father-in-law next door has one. I love my real fire, for its smell and its ambience. Yes, it’s a chore to clean up. But in my book 100% worth it.

Unknown said...

This post felt like a nice hug :) thanks, Pastor! Have you heard of the concept of hygge? (pronounced hoo-guh). If not, google it.

I haven't stopped by your blog in a while -- nice to catch up.

Brenda in smoky Seattle. Blessings to you and yours.